You may have heard of SD, HD, Full HD and Blu Ray formats. But, when was the first time you heard about 4k video resolution and wondered if it is even possible to play 4k videos on iPhone and iPad? Very few may have even tried playing 4K videos on their iPhone and iPad, but in vain!
Lets first understand the meaning of 4K….
4K resolution, also called 4K2K, refers to a display device or content having horizontal resolution on the order of 4,000 pixels.
4K has become the common name for ultra high definition television (UHDTV), although its resolution is only 3840 x 2160 (at a 16:9, or 1.78:1 aspect ratio), which is lower than the 4K industry standard of 4096 x 2160 (at a 19:10 or 1.9:1 aspect ratio).
YouTube and the television industry have adopted Ultra HD as its 4K standard.
And now, let me tell you that it is possible play 4K videos on any iPhone and iPad. And not just 4K, if you have 3D Glasses of these colurs: Red-Cyan, Green-Magenta or Amber-Blue, then you can even watch videos and movies in 3D on your iPad. In the month of November, 2014, it was reported that A8 Chip of iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus is capable of playing 4K videos.
With resolutions of 1334 x 750 and 1920 x 1080, the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus won’t be able to reproduce the detail in a 3840 x 2160 4K video, but the A8’s ability to play 4K content means 4K videos side-loaded onto one of Apple’s two devices will still be watchable.
Check out some cool 4K Videos which can be used to test the 4K video playing capability of any iPhone and iPad:
Download any of these videos from your pc or any video downloading app for iPhone and iPad that supports 4K video download. Better, you download from PC or Mac and then transfer it to your iPhone and iPad.
Now, to play 4K videos on any iPhone and iPad, there are two apps on the App Store which are the only available apps on the App Store supporting 4K video playing. One app is free, while the other app is paid.
1) HD Player (Free App)
1. Supports most of video and audio codecs.
2. Hardware-accelerated H264 decoder for MKV.
3. Hardware-accelerated H264 decoder for Quicktime movies.
4. Ready for HD (1280×720), Full HD (1920×1080), Quad HD (2560x1440p, 2K) and Ultra HD (3840×2160, 4K) videos.
5. Thanks to Hardware-accelerated decoder, HD Player provides an excellent video playback time than other software-based player.
6. Thanks to Hardware-accelerated decoder, HD Player comsumes less energy than other software-based player.
7. 3D videos playback on iPad.
8. Muti-core decoding.
9. TV Output & Bluetooth Headset.
10. iTunes & Wi-Fi file sharing.
11. SSA subtitle is fully supported.
12. HD Player supports many playing mode: normal mode, repeat mode and shuffle mode.
13. Manage your videos by playlist.
14. Save the video exit time, so it can start playing from beginning or where left off.
15. HD Player also plays videos on the local network or on the Internet.
16. Protect your videos with passcode.
17. Play audio file with great visualization.
Compatible OS: iOS 7.0 and later.
– iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c and iPhone 5s.
– iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad mini, iPad mini retina and iPad Air.
– iPod touch 5th gen.
Quad HD and Ultra HD compatible devices:
– iPhone 5S, iPad Air, iPad mini retina.
Compatible 3D glasses:
– Red-Cyan, Green-Magenta or Amber-Blue (Colorcode).
How to copy your videos to HD Player?
– Connect your device to the computer and open iTunes.
– On iTunes, select your device and open App tab.
– Scroll down to the File Sharing view.
– Select HD Player in the app list and click ‘Add’ button.
– Select the videos that you want and start the file transfer.
HD Video is awesome, but imagine
if you could capture, edit and share life’s moments with 8 times the
resolution, 8 times the quality, 8 times the detail? Bigger is better…
more is more! Why decide between capturing HD video or snapping high
resolution photos? Use this revolutionary new app and do both at the
Eight times more pixels per frame than Facetime HD
Vizzywig 8xHD with 8.67 times the single-frame resolution of FaceTime
HD. The FaceTime HD camera on the new iPhone 6 captures video frames at a
resolution of only 1280×720 pixels compared to Vizzywig 8xHD at
3264×2448 pixels per frame. That’s 8.67 times more pixels per frame.
Simple math makes it clear
• 1280 pixels multiplied by 720 pixels = 921,600 pixels per video frame.
• 3264×2448 multiplied by 2448 pixels = 7,990,272 pixels per video frame.
7,990,272 divided by 921,600 = 8.67
means each video frame captured by Vizzywig 8xHD has 8.67 times more
pixels than each frame captured with the FaceTime HD camera.
to SMPTE 292M, 1280×720 is a legitimate HD format for comparison.
RGB frames at 3MB per frame instead of motion compressed YUV
importantly, because each frame of the motion picture sequence in
Vizzywig 8xHD is captured as a high-resolution RGB photo instead of as a
motion-compressed YUV video frame, the quality, color, fidelity and
depth of the final video produced from the still photo sequence is truly
amazing. Upscale slightly to UltraHD or 4K depending upon your desired
aspect ratio or downscale for AMAZING 1920×1080 HD.
Every frame of your video is a poster qualityprint
single frame of your video can be viewed individually in a gallery view
and saved for high resolution photo books or printed as a giant,
iPhone 5S required for 24fps motion video
Vizzywig 8xHD is compatible with devices that have 8MP cameras, we
recommend an iPhone 5s for best results in order to capture the highest
possible frame rate of 24 frames per second. Most devices including the
iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are limited 10 frames per second as of iOS 8.1. The
video is still amazing but the motion is not as smooth.
• 3264×2448, 3840×2160*, 4352×2448*
• 1080p, 720p and 360p settings
• Real-time editing features
• Professional-grade music tracks
• Hollywood-style intros, titles & credits
• Wide variety of fonts & styles
• Ultra-smooth auto zoom
• Manual controls for focus & exposure
• Snapshot & title slide overlay
• Precise trimming tools
• Instant sharing options
• Controls for shutter speed, focal distance and more
*3840×2160 and 4352×2448 Anamorphic require software up-sampling